Saturday, June 9, 2012

Newsroom Blues

Greetings friends:

At the close of my rant yesterday I briefly discussed the move to Daily Wildcat. It's been an easy summer since we shift to a weekly, but I'm finding that these months may be the calm before the "daily" storm. Yes, I still miss the old news room. And yes, I've had to adjust to new faces, but on the bright side I enjoy not having to dial 8 prior to the number you're calling. The jobs I'm taking are exciting (baseball games, concerts, events, etc.) and I am being paid however, I honestly wouldn't mind writing one more Best Bet feature.

The photo section of the Arizona Daily Wildcat.
Yes, we do have a couch. And yes, that is a Teddy Bear.
The same look I received from Aztec Press vets upon arrival day one was somewhat a recurring theme for my first encounter with DW folk. I'm not old by any means yet the number 25 doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well with an audience conceived in the '90s; Grubb, you know what that's all about. My routine consists of finding an empty computer and thousand yard staring my work as I quietly indulge in some Funyuns. Only with the hope that everything is completed with reasonable time to crunch a YouTube and "inter-web" session in before the bike ride home.


You know, me doing newsy things. What's that?
Yeah, I work well with YouTube in the background.
I'm just gonna say it; I miss the Aztec Press and it's noisy news room. I miss the walks to the cafe for chicken sandwiches and I miss being silly and saying outrageous things. Hopefully as time passes these people will start to become more familiar and potentially half as genuine as my old paper. A good working environment has usually been the deciding factor my success. I just pray the rumors of "writer's perish" and the current tasteless joke bombardment will cease. On a good note: my editor and news editor aren't assholes (good, funny guys); which is great. The editor bar was set pretty high however, I think I'll fit in well with the team. As long as I don't have to take anymore photos of signs. Please, no more photos of signs.

2 comments:

  1. "On a good note: my editor and news editor aren't assholes" I know what your referencing, but I prefer to read with the undertones of "unlike that bitch who is editing the Aztec these days."
    I'm glad your new staff thinks you're old, too-- it's tough being the baby in our newsroom, you know?
    Enjoy it! But, really. No more photos of signs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Chelo... you are far from a bitch, my dear. I was referencing the rumors that everyone at Daily Wildcat is a meanie and terrible at writing.

    And who cares how old you are? I mean I got along with you alright considering the age gap. Old people don't get excited about things; maybe that's why you're so awesome, Chelo. Don't lose it!

    ReplyDelete